Food

As I love eating and trying out new things I love the United States. All of us have been eating so much lately, that all of us were working out on campus, even some of us usually don't workout in Germany, because we don't eat THAT much!
The portions are huge. When you order size S, you will get a portion equivalent to the german L, which is bigger tham enough and not many poeple order this size in Germany. Another fact is, that Americans are not tight at all compared to Germans. Once, we were at the Pearl Farmers Market and Florentina and me were standing in front of a stand ,where they were selling raw Honey. I was very curious, as I love Honey. There was a big range of different honeys and each of them looked a little bit different than the other. So, the lady offered me to taste each of them with a  spoon. I was so surprised how open she was (the honey was expensive!!). In Germany, you were only allowed to try just ONE time or even not at all. Because I love the way the lady treated us and the Honey tasted amazing too Florentina and I decided to buy one bottle each. This is probably one of the best purchases during my stay in San Antonio ;-)
Also, I had the pleasure of eating the biggest cinammon roll in the States at Lulu's Cafe in SA. We ordered 3 rolls and we were approximately 15 people. In the end there was so so so much left, that everyone took a piece for his/her roomate AND for himself/herself. Lesson learned: Don't unterestimate this Cafe ;-)
I also ate lots of Tacos and Nachos. Tacos are normally very small, so you can easily eat at least 2 of them. 
Another shoking thing is, that Americans don't drink water that much. Everywhere you go, you will find a little space for water ( with ice cubes in it, what's new) and everyhing else will be for cold drinks like Dr. Pepper, Coke, Sprite etc, even at Mabee's, the Dining Hall on Campus. We couldn't finde the water there on the first day. After searching for it and asking a random student we found water. While eating I looked around me and saw most students drinking Powerade or Coke. I personally have been drinking Powerade 2 time a little bit, but the rest of the time only water. Most of us did the same. 

All in all, Americans are so different in their eating and drinking habitat, that we had to get used to it first. If you ask me, what I miss the most "German thing" in the US, I would say the food and room temperature water!!


Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

Our jorney and first impressions